Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tips for the New Dad

We’ve had Liam home now for over a month and I just thought I would share some insight on what I have seen and learned.

  • Babies poop...a lot. And they don't just poop, it comes out like the oil geysers they show in cartoons. You will learn to use a diaper as a nice poop shield.

  • People really love new babies. Everyone will want to see the baby, hold the baby, and talk to the baby. Then they will want to talk to the mom. You have officially become the side attraction to the main events.

  • Give up any thoughts for a night of peaceful sleep. Sleeping like you did before is no longer an option. Your baby will sleep in stretches through the night and wake up to eat. When he wakes up, he will cry until you wake up too. If you are like me, you will sleep through the initial crying and wake up to see your wife breastfeeding in bed next to you.

And finally...
  • You will love your mate in an entirely new way. You will see your mate loving and caring for your child and it will show you an entirely new side of her. I have seen Cara stay up all night taking care of Liam when she herself has only had a few hours of sleep. She does it during the week so I can get the sleep I need to go to work. She doesn't have to do it, but she refuses to let me get up in the middle of the night and I love her for it. She is 100% mom inside and out and I am loving being able to witness it all.

1 comment:

The Smiths said...

I love the peaceful sleep post...it's SO true. My dearest hubby can still sleep through the crying and wakes up while I'm half awake bf'ing in bed....and it's our second kid! :) Some things never change!