Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Papi Time

Wow, it has been a while since I last posted. I have actually been fairly busy...

For those who don't know, I spent the entire month of November at home with our soon. Originally, the plan was for me to take leave from work, but as soon as we got the new house that plan was taken out back and beaten to death while our bills watched and laughed. The new plan was for me to still be at home, but with the added joy of telecommuting for work so I could still get a paycheck because as we all know I need to eat... I need to eat a lot. Though I would have preferred to have just been on leave, I am glad I did it and I recommend all new dads take some time with just you and the baby alone. Even if it is just for a day, it will cause you to see things in an entirely different way and you will begin to understand just why your partner looks so defeated at 3am after trying to get the kid to go back to sleep for an hour.

I for one have a new found respect for stay-at-home parents. I used to think it would be a breeze being home with kids without having to report to a boss, but I found out very quickly that while I was home 3.0 was my boss, and I think he knew he could do as he pleased while Papi was home. He even decided to join in on some of my conference calls, which made for some very funny "What was that?" conversations after he finished one lengthy baby babble tirade. (Never did I ever think a baby making noises in the highest pitches possible would make me laugh just about every time, but it does...)

I have now returned to work, but decided I enjoyed the time so much that I am now telecommuting one day a week for the near future. I figure it is just another way to bond with the little guy and it doesn't hurt to have the extra practice when Mama wants to go have some fun and leave the baby at home. I mean, who really wants to be the guy calling his wife every few minutes with questions on what to do when the baby does this or that? I'd much rather just know what to do, which is what I learned "on-the-job" the past month and I loved every minute of it.

1 comment:

Justin and Marisa said...

That sounds like it was awesome!! Way to go super dad!