Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Father's Legacy

“Ever since I was born, Daddy has been the best father you could ever imagine... And I just wanted to say I love him — so much.”
-Paris Katherine Jackson
Those were the first and only public words ever heard from Michael Jackson's only daughter. As she spoke them, I sat at my desk with tears filling my eyes. I got so emotional that I had to go outside and collect myself. This little girl just proclaimed to the world that she loved her father and wanted them all to know how she saw him. To her, he wasn't the King of Pop, the greatest performer of all time, or even Michael Jackson... To her, he was simply Daddy.

I know much has been disclosed in the past few days about Michael Jackson not being the children's biological father, but it doesn't matter. Those kids know him as their father and he cared for them as if he had made them himself. Any man can make a baby, but not every man is a father. Michael Jackson was a father and he would be proud father today had he heard his daughter speak.

We have our own child that will be here in a few weeks, and boy or girl I hope to leave the kind of legacy with this child that Michael Jackson left with his daughter. I want my child to be able to look at me and see a man that only wants the best for his child and will be behind them 100% in whatever it is they choose to do. I think the best gift a man can give to his child is to be a true father and I want nothing more than to give that gift to my child.

1 comment:

Casey B said...

I cried off and on through the entire memorial but I lost it when she got up there and spoke. I'm so sad for her because she lost her Daddy and doesn't have a Mommy but I'm thankful that she realizes how much he loved her. Not every child grows up knowing they're loved. Sadly, not enough people make that their number one priority.