Friday, June 12, 2009

An Eye Opener...

So Cara and I are in our second week of our Preparing for Childbirth class and last night was the class I was dreading. Last night was the class where we would watch a video of a natural childbirth and this wasn't the same video they showed you in health class when you were in high school. This video had nothing blurred and showed everything...and I mean EVERYTHING!!

The first part of the video they showed women in the early stages of labor, but I didn't pay too much attention as I was preparing myself for the big event I knew was coming. Sure enough, about halfway through they cut to a lady who was in her last few minutes of pushing. My eye opened pretty wide when I saw a baby's head appear.

Now, I am one of the weakest people in this world when it comes to medical procedures. I can barely watch Grey's Anatomy without feeling my body getting weak. I hate getting shots or having blood drawn. I even gag and panic when getting a tooth cavity filled. So I am very much a lightweight, but I tell you, I could not turn my head away from the screen. It was AWESOME to see this person appear out of something so tiny. It made me that much more excited for our upcoming birth experience. I am even now psyched about cutting the cord, which is something I was feeling a little uneasy about. It truly was an eye-opening video. :-)

Sidenote: I had to wear a sympathy belly in class last night for about 30 minutes. I now feel sorry for every woman who has to carry that baby around day after day. After a few minutes I was having trouble breathing and feeling the pressure on my stomach. Now I see why pregnant ladies go to the restroom so much. So much pressure!!

1 comment:

Casey B said...

If you think watching some one else deliver was cool, wait until you see Cara in action! You are going to cry more than that baby! You will fall in love with the baby all over again when you meet him/her, and you'll fall in love with Cara even more. Barker has a weak stomach and can't see blood on tv, but cutting Audrey's cord was the most amazing experience in his life. You're both going to do great in the delivery room and you won't be sick. Quite the opposite, you're going to love every minute of such an awesome moment in your lives.