Friday, June 19, 2009

A Male Childbirth Experience???

Our Preparing for Childbirth class has provided all kinds of new information and tonight a new experience. I never in my life thought I would ever have my legs in stirrups, but that came true tonight.

First, I need to give a little background information. For each class meeting, the last man to walk through the door was designated as "Demo Dad" for that class. Now the Demo Dad could have to wear a sympathy belly or be used in any demonstration for the class that night. Well, in our class the same guy has been the last guy through the door EVERY night. It's not his fault, he has to work until right before the class starts. So tonight we were going on a tour of the Labor & Delivery floor at Baylor Grapevine so our teacher could explain all the different machines and workings in the labor rooms. Of course, all-time Demo Dad was the last guy through the door and proclaimed that he would not be Demo Dad tonight seeing as last class he had helped demonstrate an epidural. In a moment of weakness, I felt sorry for the guy and volunteered to be Demo Dad. It turned out to be quite a mistake.

The class was at Baylor Grapevine and the teacher was explaining what would happen when it was time for Mom to begin pushing. She lowered the hidden light from the ceiling and took the lower part of the bed apart to expose the stirrups. She then asked me to remove my shoes and asked me to come sit on the bed. (You can guess where this is going...) I sat in the bed and she asked normal Demo Dad to join me to be my birth coach. So he grabbed my hand while the teacher had me lift my legs with my hands (as I would have to if I had an epidural) and place them in the stirrups. Then she sat on a stool between my legs as she had me simulate pushing during a contraction and resting in between. I think Cara took a picture with her phone, but I am really hoping it did not come out well. I'm sure it was one crazy site.

So yes, I have now had my legs in stirrups AND have now given birth to my very own imaginary man child. You can now commence the laughter...

1 comment:

taniamc said...

o.O

I don't know how you are going to care for an imaginary man child AND a new baby. Guess it is time to start looking for an imaginary second job.